Sunday, March 28, 2010

Jamie Oliver Would Be Proud

I have mentioned briefly that although I have had some trouble losing weight, I have been able to lose some, which is beyond wonderful to me! Jake and I are very much enjoying the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution. I totally agree that there are just way too many processed, preservative-filled, unnatural foods being eaten in this country. I don't even think it is the fat causing the problem. I think it is all of the processing, additives, etc. that are causing us health issues. But these foods are easy and convenient, that's for sure.

This meal doesn't look that fabulous, but when I dished it up, I felt good about it and it tasted great!


My mom made Spaghetti Squash Primavera when she was doing a Fat Flush plan and was kind enough to share some with me. It was filled with veggies! She couldn't use many spices or salt, so I added a few and some garlic salt and it was delicious. I have a love affair with garlic salt. I adore it. The Simply Organic kind is WAY better than the others in my book. Good thing salt is recommended for me. The cauliflower doesn't look great since it has been sitting in the fridge for a few days, but trust me, it was delicious. I am learning that roasting vegetables = awesome. Here is the recipe I used - yum! I covered it for the first 25 minutes so that it wouldn't burn.

I have been on a grain-free and sugar free diet (almost completely) since last August. It is supposed to keep my blood sugar very even, which is important when you have adrenal insufficiency like I do. It has proven to be good for weight loss too so that is great. My biggest challenge is to get more veggies in. When dinner time comes around, I most often have all the energy of a slug, and sticking something in the microwave can take all my energy. And... I hate frozen veggies. So sometimes I will cook a big batch of stuff later at night and we'll eat it the next day, and then have leftovers. I can eat leftovers for days... I think I am just glad that there is food that is made already. Being chronically sick lowers your standards a little, but that's ok. Especially when the food is good to start with.

Recently I made the yummiest chicken!! If the spicy/sweet combination floats your boat, then you have to try Spicy Honey Chicken It is delicious!! I don't have a grill so I just baked it for an hour, and added the sauce in the last 10 minutes. I did both breasts and wings and she is right - the thighs were the best! The breasts were good too though. Try it!

3 comments:

JoAnna said...

This is great, Nans! I've always been super impressed by your discipline. That diet since August??? Wow!!

Kathi said...

I agree, I don't think 'fat' plays near as much a part in weight as does sugar and processed foods.
You do some good food!

Braden Bell said...

Wow, I'm impressed with your discipline!!! Since August! Good job. I have a feeling you are right about all the processed stuff. It's sad that the cheapest, most available stuff is probably the worst! It's hard to feed a large family on fresh, organic stuff.