Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Big 7th Grader

On some levels I can't believe this cute kid is old enough for 7th grade. Junior high! But on other levels, he is definitely a pre-teen/teen. I went to his Parent Teacher Conferences last night and came out feeling proud of him. A couple teachers said how smart he was, and another two said they loved having him in their classes. It is so good to have contact with the people he spends the rest of his day with. I was a little worried because I wasn't sure if they would say he was not getting assignments in, talking too much or "drumming" and making too much noise, etc. (He is constantly hitting the tables, counters, and anything that will make noise in a drumming -and loud- fashion. Hard on the nerves but maybe he has a talent for drumming?) Ok, one did say he was talking too much... but that teacher is changing the seating arrangement and that should help.

It was great to hear positive things. And as long as he remembers to turn in his assignments, he should get good grades. I am really pleased with how well he is adjusting to junior high. He really seems happy there. It is a great school with some great teachers. What a relief! I was afraid junior high would be a nightmare!! But it is better than 5th or 6th grade so far. He likes feeling a little more grown up and having more independence.

It was also great to hear positive things, because we are struggling to get along lately. I feel bad for him because I never feel well -especially waking up at 6:30 am when I can hardly sleep at night- and therefore lose patience easily/am ornery/and am not all that fun. And his combination of not listening to me/noise-making/and teenage hormones has been incredibly challenging for me. I guess there are reasons for everything and we are definitely being blessed. He really is a wonderful kid. I love him to pieces. And he's handsome to boot.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I'm shocked that he is only in 7th grade! Whenever I see him he seems so much older. I'm glad that he is doing well!

Kathi said...

Ohh! That handsome kid! I'm so glad they appreciate him. He has so much potential and sometimes Jr. High can kill that so it's great he's got a good set of teachers. Love him!

Suz said...

He really is SO handsome! And it looks like he's got one heck of a wing span!